Edeltrud M. Johnson
SIDNEY _ In the early morning hours of Aug. 10, 2012, Edeltrud M. Johnson, 87, joined her beloved husband in eternal rest.
Born and educated in Germany, she graduated in 1948, from Kostumbildner Schule Schellenberg as a theatrical costume designer and worked for the State Theater in Karlsruhe before immigrating to the U.S. in 1954.
For the next 18 years she moved 14 times with her Army officer husband and two children, up and down the East Coast and across the Atlantic before finally settling in Sidney.
With her unique skills and innate sense of style, she left her mark of beauty on everything she touched, whether it was clothes she designed for her family, the homes she lived in, the gardens she tended, or the gifts she gave. Though a private person, her generous nature and love of people in general, made her home always a welcoming place and made for many memorable gatherings, especially during the holidays.
Her grandchildren will always remember her optimism, and what her support of their pursuits, and her sense of fun brought to their lives.
To those closest to her, she could be a spitfire, stubborn, and opinionated _ a realist, but also deeply spiritual, not afraid to confront the harder questions of life. Her quick wit would so often lighten even the most difficult times, and though her family was of utmost importance to her, she did not forget the less fortunate, giving regularly to many good causes including the Dhanjuri Leprosy Center in India, St. Joseph's Indian School, and Smile Train.
She is survived by her son, Jess (Ruthie) Johnson; daughter, Angelina (Gunar) Wermel; grandchildren, Sandra (Bang) Le, Brandon and Erik Wermel and great-grandchild, Alexander Le, born as a blessing, two days before she died.
In accordance with her wishes, the family will be mourning in private.
After cremation ashes will be inurned, with her husband's ashes, in the Saratoga National Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to a charity of one's choice.
Arrangements by C.H. Landers Funeral Chapel, 21 Main St., Sidney.